Creative Commons License

Home Again

Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 07:56 PM EDT

We have led a remarkably busy, whirlygig sort of existence over the last few weeks. On August 5 we decided to move back to Portland. As a child is imminent (due September 10), we wanted to accomplish a lot in a very short amount of time. We also sent a moving truck along its merry way from NYC on August 13, and required a home for our belongings to land. This put some pressure on us to get things done so we would not have to unload the truck into a family garage or storage unit, reload into another moving truck, and unload into whatever home we located.

Fate was with us. We searched all day for five days for an apartment or house. We applied at many locations and were accepted at one, but it wasn’t exactly what we were looking for. Early the morning after that acceptance, I woke up too early (the m.o. these days) and was doing the search on Craigslist. The first house to show up that morning was exactly what we were looking for. I was reluctant to call because it was so early, but figured since the posting had just shown up the person must be awake. So I called. I am so grateful that I did. We were the first callers and the owner said he gave priority in order of who called first.

Later that morning (last Wednesday) went and looked at the house. Not only was it in the exact neighborhood we wanted, it was the style of house I love the most, had plenty of room, and was simply lovely. It is a bungalow with a huge front porch, a fenced backyard, a full basement, and all the amenities we could ask for. The old tenant was a cool guy who was heading to Canada to “hang out with his mom in Vancouver, B.C.” He graciously agreed to allow our belongings to arrive before he departed, whenever that happened to be. On Saturday we received the call from the driver that he would be in Oregon on Sunday. We made arrangements for him to meet us at the house and we started calling friends.

Here is how Oregon is different for us from New York: In New York, we had 3 people who could help us, one of whom had to leave after an hour for another engagement, leaving 2 people plus Dan to load our truck (considering at the time I was 35 weeks pregnant, there wasn’t a whole lot I could do in the hucking boxes department). Here, we had 10 helpers, plus Milla had two girls to play with, daughters of one of the helpers. Loading the truck took nearly 8 hours. Unloading took under 3. Unloading always takes less than loading, but the speed here was phenomenal, plus everything went into the house in an organized manner. I couldn’t unload, but I could certainly direct traffic!

Basically, since we decided on August 5 to move back to Oregon, and arrived so late August 14 it may as well have been the August 15, we have managed to find a place to live, buy a used car, find a new midwife, and begin settling in. We have been busy, to say the least, but so far things are working out. Dan has had a few gigs and I’m slated to return to work for a firm here after baby is born and maternity leave. It has been a lot of work, but it has been so worth it.

A year ago I could not wait to leave Portland. There had been a long string of hard times and it was difficult to see a future here. Having left, spent too much money, and returned, I cannot imagine being anywhere else. I am grateful for a place among family and friends. I am so grateful we found a house we like in the neighborhood we wanted. Now I just need to relax and sleep through the night. It won’t be long before our little one arrives and sleeping through the night will be a thing of the past…